British Jews share the world’s horror at the scenes unfolding in Afghanistan. Following our call to the UK Government to expand on its plans for the resettlement of Afghan refugees, many in our community are looking for ways to support those are fleeing Afghanistan, including those who have recently arrived in the UK.
There are several ways you can help.
To donate physical goods:
To donate money:
- World Jewish Relief have launched an emergency appeal to help people being forced to flee Afghanistan. You can find the apeal here:www.worldjewishrelief.org/afghancrisis.
- Donate to JCORE’s Afghan Emergency Appeal, to help them provide Afghan refugees in the UK with basic necessities – everything from outerwear and underwear to toothpaste and towels – followed by practical, social and psychological support: https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/campaign/jcore_afghan_refugee_appeal
- The Groundswell Project is a UK based organisation that seeks to build cohesive communities by supporting peace, coexistence and humanitarian groups that bring people together. Due to the ongoing crisis in Afghanistan, it is directing all donations made after August 23rd until it announces otherwise to efforts working in partnership with charities who are helping to support those in need who have been displaced as a result of events in Afghanistan. People can donate to help those displaced in Afghanistan via this page: https://www.groundswellproject.org/donate
- Refugee Trauma Initiative – founded by Afghan-born Zarlasht Halaimzai – provides refugees and aid workers tools to better manage stress and trauma. Donate to them here: https://www.justgiving.com/refugeetraumainitiative
- Sebby’s Corner are helping Afghan Refugee families with necessities. Donate money to them here: https://www.sebbyscorner.co.uk/donate#
To donate your time as a volunteer:
- Paiwand – an Edgware-based charity dedicated to helping refugees and asylum seekers in the UK – is looking for volunteers to assist with fundraising, education and immigration casework. Contact them on 0208 905 8770 or email@example.com
- Volunteer with JCORE to help coordinate practical support for Afghan refugees: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteer at one of the many synagogue drop-ins for Refugees and Asylum Seekers:
If there are other initiatives you are aware of, please email: Anthony.Silkoff@bod.org.uk to let us know.