Brent Jewish representatives urge Council to ‘step back from sectarianism’ over Nablus twinning 

A delegation of Jewish community representatives met with Brent Council Leader Muhammed Butt last night to express strong concerns over the borough’s proposed twinning with Nablus, warning it could undermine community cohesion.

The group highlighted that no Jewish organisations were consulted during the Equalities Impact Assessment and that previous warnings about the proposal’s potentially divisive impact had been dismissed.

The delegation, led by the Board of Deputies of British Jews, included representatives of all six of the Board’s member synagogues in Brent: Brondesbury Park, Kenton, Kingsbury, Neveh Shalom David Ishag, Wembley Sephardi, and Wembley United. The group also included the London Jewish Forum, the United Synagogue, and the S&P Sephardi Community.

Delegates questioned the choice of Nablus, citing concerns over the public display of images of armed militants in the town centre and warning that it may be unsafe for openly Jewish or LGBT+ residents of Brent to visit.

They pointed to a recent petition of opposition which had garnered over 2,300 signatures, significantly more than a previous petition which had called for the twinning. They noted that opposition to the move was evident within many Brent communities and not only Brent’s Jewish residents, reflecting widely held concerns about sectarianism in the council. There are widespread fears that this could lead to further attempts to bring divisive international issues into local politics in ways that will undermine Brent Council’s stated commitment to community cohesion.

Following the meeting, President of the Board of Deputies of British Jews Phil Rosenberg said: ‘Brent Council’s long record of active support for community cohesion is now very much in question. The proposed twinning will do nothing for peace in the region but risks the good relations of diverse communities in Brent. We want to see our council focused on addressing our significant shared local challenges without embarking on misplaced initiatives relating to international affairs. We urge the council to step back from sectarianism.’

Amanda Bowman, Co-Chair of London Jewish Forum said: ‘The meeting was more than disappointing. While Brent Council has asked the Brent-Nablus Association to continue consulting, it has chosen not to pause implementation or reconsider its position. That is not meaningful engagement—it’s a box-ticking exercise. Jewish residents deserve better than symbolic gestures that ignore their concerns. We remain open to dialogue, but real trust is built through action, not afterthought.’

Keep Informed

Sign up for our weekly briefing, delivered to your inbox every Thursday, giving you up to date news on events and activists of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, as well as the activities of member organisations and partners. 
Subscribe to Community Briefing

Donate

The Board of Deputies relies on the generous support of the Jewish community through individual contributions and donations. Help us be the voice of the British Jewish community by donating today. All funds received go to our core charitable mission.
Donate